Thursday, September 2, 2010

Kumasi Central Market

The crowded Kumasi Market.

A few hours at the Kumasi market were definitely enough to get a "flavour" of shopping in one of the largest markets in Ghana. This market is very difficult to describe.  It was probably the size of West Edmonton Mall with all the essential items anyone would need.  It was like an outdoor Wal-mart at Christmas time.  The rows between each booth were very crowded and full of people, we passed through the “grocery section” that contained a butcher section with fresh meat.  The butchers had wanted me to purchase some tripe but I politely refused because I don’t have a pan to cook it in, or a recipe… or a stove, or any desire to touch it.  We then headed to the clothing/ material section, then to the shoe department, and somehow ended up in the “home improvement” section where you could purchase your very own machete for “a good deal”.  I was not sure how Canadian customs would feel about me bringing a machete home so I decided not to spend my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment