Friday, September 3, 2010

Wrapping up the Adventure- Dagbamete


Living in the village of Dagbamete for a few days was definitely an experience I will never forget.  My goal was to experience anything and everything, I ate and learned how to cook some food, participated in many ceremonies, visited the diviner, received a village name, and learned how to drum and dance.  This cultural immersion was an amazing experience and I feel as though I experienced everything possible and more!

Ampesi (boiled yam) and Palava Sauce, my favourite meal!

My sacrificial chicken
Participating in a session with the diviner provided many learning opportunities.  Courtney and I poured libations to our father, and sacrificed money, a bottle of alcohol and chickens at the shrine.  Overall it was a unique experience I will not soon forget.
Pouring libations
Village naming ceremony (pouring libations)
Participating in the naming ceremony was also an experience I was glad I did not miss out on.  While the ceremony was scheduled to begin at 6:30 am and did not begin until 8:00 am, it was worth the wait.  It was initially humourous that I received the name Wetsa because I am the second born twin because I already had that name, but the ceremony made it official.  After the naming ceremony all the villagers recognized me by my name and it made me feel like I had a home in Ghana, a place where I belong.



Community dancing in Dzogadze 


Watching community dancing was a highlight because the entire community came out to participate.  I enjoyed learning to dance and attempting to dance throughout my time in Ghana and participating with an entire community really showed how important music, drumming, and dance are in Ewe culture.



Overall, this trip to Ghana was fantastic and provided me with too many learning experiences and memories to include in one blog.  I hope you enjoyed reading about my adventure and seeing a limited amount of pictures.  Thank you and Akpe.








1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a lot of what happened in Ghana is similar to some things that happened to us in India. Sounds like you never really know what to expect in either country...

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete