Thursday, September 2, 2010

Street Food

One major highlight of this entire adventure was wondering where my next meal or snack would come from.  The night market on campus provided me with my dinners for approximately the value of $1 Canadian.  Joloff, plantain, and Gari have become my favourite dinner, along with a pineapple for dessert. Buying cookies was also an exciting adventure, especially when it was off of a tray from someone's head from my seat in the tro-tro.

Enjoying some maise in Cape Coast.
The amount of food and variety of food available on the street is also impressive.  You can purchase sugar cane, maise (wild corn, usually grilled and dipped in salt water), cookies and almost any snack you can think of.  Who needs a convenience store when you can buy everything by just walking up one street and down the next?  Even if you just want a quick snack there is always something for sale on the side of the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment